How to create a website in 5 steps
From choosing your web hosting plan to publishing your first article on the internet, follow this tutorial and get your website online in just a few minutes.
- Reserve a domain name: more than 800 extensions available
- Choose a web hosting plan to suit the traffic you expect for your website
- Choose a module (CMS) and install it in just 1 click
- Configure the website and add options to improve its performance
- Publish pages directly in your CMS
1. Reserve a domain name
A domain name will allow internet users to access your website easily. It will match your company's online image, it will be unique, and it must be selected to fit your brand or business.
Choosing a domain name is an important step. Different types of extensions exist:
- Generic: a selection of the most popular domain names in the world, which will guarantee that you get visitors. E.g.: .com, .org
- Local: to target internet users based in a specific geographic region. E.g.: .in, .com.br, .us
- Custom: provides more information on your website's activity. E.g.: .blog, .shop
I know the domain name I want - is it available?
Reserve a domain name
2. Choose a web hosting plan
A web hosting plan is an environment that allows websites to be displayed. It's an ideal solution for hosting a website online at a low cost. Unlike content management systems and some other web hosting providers, OVH web hosting will guarantee that your website stays available online, without integrating any advertising banners.
OVH web hosting plans vary depending on storage capacity, the expected number of visitors, and the number of websites to be deployed. The Performance web hosting plan offers you a service with guaranteed resources.
Order a web hosting plan
3. Choose a CMS to create your website easily
A CMS (content management system) allows you to create a dynamic, responsive website via an easy-to-use interface. Find out more about the advantages of a CMS for your web project:
- Create webpages: create a homepage that suits your brand's image and complies with your graphic charter. Write articles for your news, or various pages to showcase your products.
- Languages: build a website from scratch, with no need to know any programming languages.
- Features: create product pages for your e-commerce website, and contact forms.
- Community: get in touch with the extensive communities for each project, and they will give you advice and plug-in tests to help you improve your website.
- SEO ranking: each environment showcases content, improves performance for webpages and boosts your SEO ranking.
When you create a website, you can install a free module whilst ordering a domain name/web hosting plan, or via the Control Panel. You just have to choose the module best suited to your needs:
What kind of website do you want to create?
Create your blog with WordPress
With a blog (a contraction of web log), you can put your journal online, and add photos, videos, and audio...WordPress was originally designed to create and manage blogs. With its simple interface, carefully designed for users with no technical expertise, WordPress is very popular with millions of users.
Discover our comparison of the most popular CMS for your professional website.
Comparison table of 1-click modules
|Position of CMS in the market||59.2%||1.3%||6.2%||4.9%|
|Number of free themes||+ 2,000||N/A||+ 900||+ 1,800|
|Number of free plugins||+ 27,000||+ 3,000||+ 7,000||+ 24,000|
|Frequency of updates||42 days||N/A||36 days||51 days|
|Level of skill required|
4. Recommended addons
OVH ensures that your website is hosted on an optimised platform. If you don't want to manage installations and technical updates, we recommend that you optimise your website with the following options:
Free certificate with a web hosting plan. The ability to order an EV SSL certificate, so that your company name can appear with the green padlock on any browser.
With its exclusive anti-DDoS solution, OVH will ensure that your website can always be accessed, even in the event of an attack!
Private SQL or shared
Create as many databases as you like, combining scalability, performance and freedom in terms of configuration.
Only available with this solution: Performance.
Backup & Restore
Accidentally deleted a file? Every web hosting service contains a backup option. You won't need to rebuild your website from scratch - simply restore the last backup.
With the multi-sites option, you can host several websites on the same web hosting plan.
5. Publish your first pages
Once you have created your website and installed your module, log in to your website using the login details in the email you have received. Then you just have to create your first pages and articles, to enrich your website.
Looking to create a website?
Reserve a domain name